Below is a list of foods that are toxic for your dog. Please avoid giving any of these to your dog, no matter how you might be tempted or think “it won’t happen to my dog.” The potential outcome just isn’t worth it! Grapes & raisins: Even a small amount of grapes or raisins can be toxic to a dog once ingested. The first signs of toxicity include vomiting and diarrhea but more serious symptoms include renal failure and eventually death. Avocado: Avocados are very healthy for humans but our canine friends should avoid them. They contain persin which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Several sources contradict this and state that avocadoes are not poisonous to dogs but I always say it’s better to be safe than sorry, so I’d avoid giving any to my dog. Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine which must be avoided at all costs. As well, the darker the chocolate the more toxic it is to your dog. A chocolate overdose can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and in more extreme circumstances, seizures, coma and even death. Xylitol: Xylitol is a common ingredient in sugar-free chewing gums, candies, mints and oral care products. This ingredient is very dangerous to dogs if ingested. It can lead to hypoglycemia, liver failure, and even death. Onion: Onions are toxic to canines because of the substance they contain known as thiosulfate. Dogs do not have the enzyme needed to digest this substance, therefore onions become a very harmful food for them. Onion ingestion commonly leads to vomiting, diarrhea, liver damage, blood cell damage and anemia. Garlic: Like onions, garlic contains compounds that can damage your dog’s red blood cells. While blood cell damage, anemia and even death are the most serious outcomes of feeding your dog garlic, the less severe side effects are vomiting, diarrhea and gastroenteritis (inflammation of stomach). Dairy products: Avoid giving your dog dairy products – too much can lead to diarrhea. While diarrhea isn’t the end of the world, it really isn’t any fun for your dog or for you! Cooked bones: Giving cooked bones to your dog is a bad idea, period. Some will argue that giving your dog any bones, cooked or raw is a bad idea. I’m just here to tell you the dangers of feeding your dog cooked bones. Cooking changes the structure of the bone, making it indigestible and can splinter easily. If your dog swallows the splintered pieces it can lead to a whole mess of problems: constipation, choking, rectal bleeding. Bone fragments can poke holes in your dog’s stomach or intestines and cause Peritonitis, a nasty bacterial infection that can kill your dog. Mushrooms: While most mushrooms are safe for dogs, there are some varieties that can cause shock and even death in your dog. If your dog has ingested one of the above foods but isn’t showing any negative side effects, it’s always best to contact your veterinarian just to be sure. They are the experts to recommend what the next course of action should be to ensure your pooch’s health! Online sources: 1) http://pets.webmd.com 2) www.aspca.org 3) www.dogfoodadvisor.com 4) www.petinsurance.com ToniaTonia has owned her own dog walking company and been a full-time professional dogwalker for over 4 years. She is a member of Pet Sitters International and the Pet Professional Guild (the Association for Force-Free Pet Professionals). She volunteers weekly at a local dog shelter where she gets to feed and spend time with many furry friends. She started Dogwalker World to share her knowledge and passion about dogs and their natural instinct to walk and explore. She believes (and knows) that walking your dog can be a fun activity that will only strengthen your bond with them. This website is her dedication to you to ensure that you find the tools and advice necessary to make walking your dog a success! Leave a Reply Cancel ReplyYou must be logged in to post a comment.